Notes to YouTubers exploring the #paranormal Ghosts & Paranormal in Ontario
So I have a bit of experience over the years and I've watched literally hundreds of hours of video on the paranormal, so here are a few tips I personally have. You might agree with some of this or none of it at all. That's fine. This is my personal knowledge and experience, you can take it with a grain of salt.
Things I've noticed in videos when they use a spirit box to communicate.
1. Spirits are not deaf and neither are your viewers. Stop shouting at the spirit box like you have a bad 1990s cellphone connection.
2. slower sweeps through the channels in reverse seem to receive better clearer responses than fast sweeps.
3. I forget what it's called, but that device that only says the words and no static, turn the dang echoing off. it is irritating to listen to and doesn't make words any clearer in the end. I've watched people using it and half the time they are struggling o know what was even said. Another reason to keep it in a normal setting is the echo effect steps all over your next question or the spirits next answer making it hard to understand.
4. Slow down and give spirits a chance to reply. Remember you are talking to a dead person. Keep your questions clear and concise. Normally you only get one or two words reply but if your question has five sub-questions in it how is the spirit supposed to give a direct answer?
5. Don't assume that the spirit you want to talk to in a location is going to be the one that comes through the device, more than one person has died in the world.
6. If you are "legit" and the spirit box is working then don't stop it and switch to something else just to entertain your viewers. It's annoying to watch potential conversation interrupted by "oh, let's try this now". How would you like it if someone is talking on the phone with you, then they want to be on messenger, then they want to be on facetime, then they want... and so on. You'd quickly piss off your friend and you're pissing off the spirit.
Normal vs Paranormal
1. look for the explained before writing it off as paranormal. i don't know how many times I've watched people claim it was an abnormal sound when it was just the building creaking or settling or a car or truck passing by (this can be heard sometimes up to a block away for just a normal truck, depends on the building and ground).
2. Not every orb you see on camera is paranormal. Smartphones for example, I had a Samsung that, when aimed in the direction of the sun, would place a small orb in the picture. It's an optical effect created by the lens nothing more. When you have a camera with a light on it in the dark, unless the orb is moving about the view in a usual way, it's more likely just dust in the air.
3. If you are exploring old abandoned locations remember that black mold and asbestos dust will kill you faster than any spirit. Wear a mask and eye protection. Many people are not aware that bird poop contains bacteria that over time can harm your vision.
4. This is for legal disclaimer here: Never ever break into a location. If you can not enter through an open door or window then do not go. Trespassing is illegal and breaking and entering is worse. Never remove anything from a location, even abandoned. That cool little figurine you found could have a spirit attached to it.
1. contrary to popular myth perpetuated by ill-informed entertainment looking to sell cinema tickets - a pentacle is not demonic, a pentagram is not demonic, an inverted pentacle is not demonic and saying otherwise in your videos is just insulting and ignorant. Uneducated people have twisted these symbols to mean what media has taught then vs what is reality.
2. ALWAYS thank a spirit for communicating with you, and ALWAYS tell the spirit to remain at the location and do not follow you home. If they want to go anywhere then encourage them to go into 'the light'. Crystals, crosses, and prayers are tools. If you welcome negativity into your life then no amulet will protect you.
3. Don't play with a ouija board just for the entertainment of your viewers. Know what you are doing and take it seriously.
4. Dybbuk boxes are serious. Do not open one or even order one from the internet unless you are prepared for the negative consequences.
5. Haunted dolls, the same as dybbuk boxes are serious. And remember that unless you live alone you may be subjecting others in your household to things that they did not willfully choose to happen. Be respectful of others.
6. Mirrors, these can turn into portals under the right conditions. Be mindful. If you are using an ouija board you might consider covering any mirrors in the room. Just a suggestion.
7. If you welcome negative spirits you will get negative spirits. Stay positive, stay focused on love and peaceful thoughts. Unless you want to attract demonic energies and poltergeists, if so then be prepared!
8. Cats can sense spirits (as can dogs and children) more than adult humans. Cats are more likely to attract and be comfortable around positive energies. They are less likely to attract negative ones but they can definitely sense and see them. I've heard and read that having a cat in the house can protect you, but I consider them to be another tool when it comes to detecting spirits and energies. I have found less spirits or energies in places where there are more cats.
1. If there is a thump or a bang and everyone reacts, you don't need to repeat over and over "Did you hear that?" Obviously they did. If your viewers are watching they either heard it or they didn't. Repeating the question over and over won't change that fact.
2. Reacting to something without capturing it on camera or recording is just silly when you think others will find it scary. If you want to make an entire video like that of you being scared don't mislabel it as something paranormal captured just to get hits on your video.
1. Not every place is haunted even when people tell you it is. If you are really investigating the location then walk in there with at least an ounce of skepticism.
2. If you are new to investigating, many paranormal investigators (not amateur) spend hours experimenting and typically might get one or two credible responses. It's better to show a video and tell people how you didn't get any responses than making a big deal out of little things just to imply that you did.
3. Know the devices you are experimenting with and test them out beforehand so you know how they react to normal conditions. If something is "going crazy" don't be afraid to turn it off or reboot it to see if it is a mechanical or electrical malfunction.
That's all for now, if you have anything positive to add feel free to comment.