Clairvoyance - the faculty of perceiving things or events in the future beyond normal sensory contact.
Clairaudient - the power to hear sounds said to exist beyond the reach of ordinary experience or capacity, as the voices of the dead
Precognition - future vision, future sign is a claimed psychic ability to see events in the future.
I have had several instances of, what I guess would be channeling, though it is more empathy as the people have been alive at the time I received messages from them. If you've ever watched the movie "White Noise" then you will know what I am talking about. Here is a spoiler. Jonathan Rivers, played by Michael Keaton, becomes obsessed with EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) following the tragic death of his wife. In one scene a traumatized spirit calls out to John concerning a woman involved in a car accident. He rushes to the scene in time to save her baby before a felled electrical line kills the mother. At the moments before her death her soul cried out for help.
In my personal experiences I have been able to connect with souls in the moment, sometimes they were in distress while other times I was just focused enough to see them in a vision.
These are in no particular order.
I recall, years ago, the story in the news of a young male, I think pre-teen, who had been in an argument with his parents over playing video games and had subsequently run away from home.
In my vision I saw the boy very cold and alone. He was in a partly forested area. He laid down and went to sleep. The next day after a police search, they found in the boy in the woods near his home. He had died of exposure.
Another time, while living in Ohio in the late nineties, a news report came on the radio about 9-1-1 calls the police had received. A driver had gone off the road and crashed his car. He called the police and said he, if I recall was somewhere north or east of the city. He was still calling in but a search of those areas revealed nothing.
I connected to him and told a witness "I (he) is disoriented, his car is to the south on its roof beyond some trees".
About an hour or so later a trucker on 270 spotted a damaged guardrail along the highway. They found the intoxicated driver in his overturned car in a field. The vehicle had not been found sooner because it was located south of the city concealed from the road by trees and shrubs.
Another time, in the late nineties or early two thousands, also in Ohio, an elderly man with dementia wandered away from his home near downtown Columbus. Again police were looking for him and relatives thought he had walked west toward the downtown core. I again told a witness what I saw "he has gone east not west away from the downtown". I heard on the radio several hours later that he had indeed been found east of his home not west as they thought he would be.
My most recent instance was an unusual one for me, instead of channeling it was pre-cognitive in nature. I was walking the open trails in a park in Owen Sound, Ontario. I was walking on the path along the river. The first section of trail before the forest is bordered by a river on the west and high escarpment foothills to the east. As I walked along I kept feeling something coming from up over the hills. It was a lonely feeling not traumatic but what I now know as "lost".
When I got home the news the next morning reported a teenager who had gone missing in the park the day before and was found by authorities that morning. If I remember he had taken shelter in a cave to protect against the cold temperatures overnight.
Here is the rub. I felt that feeling at least one hour before the kid had even started out on his walk in the park. I had felt the sensation of despair at being lost before the person had gone lost. I do not know if this has happened to me in the past but I will definitely remember this time for a while (2019).
This ability to connect with souls is not limited to humans. One time I talked for a few moments with the neighbours' Husky dog. I looked into the dogs eyes and felt pain. I knew I would never see the dog again. Three days later the owner made the 'on the spot; decision to have the dog put to sleep due to terminal medical issues. I never told them or anyone else what I had experienced.
There are two instances that I can not prove but both had witnesses I told what I was experiencing at the time.
The first occurred late in the evening in a suburban neighbourhood of Kincardine, Ontario known as the Hospital District. I think it was the summer of 2003 or 2004. I was having an insightful conversation with a close friend. We were sitting along the street about half a block from the lake. I was in the right mood, if you will, to receive messages from the paranormal. It was not long before I received the energy of a young sailor, maybe mid to late twenties, who had drowned while working on a cargo ship. I think the ship sank but I can not be certain. I have researched on and off for years for a report of a ship sinking or people drowning in the area that far north of the harbour.
Another case that can not be proven took place at an old abandoned farmhouse and property. I was joined that evening by a second medium and our combined abilities acted like a magnet to the energies present on the farm. In our time there I identified three human spirits - two male and 1 female, and a fourth one I could not tell. I saw it as a dark shadow in the after dusk lighting of the evening.
The two males, brothers, appeared to be slightly older than their sister. I would place their ages in their twenties. It could, however, just be my translation because of the state and age of the house, but they appeared to be dressed in late nineteenth or early twentieth century attire. I remember the female had long, past her shoulder, length hair and a white dress. The brothers were protective of her even when I connected with them. The other entity was neutral, both of us sensed it in the back corner of the yard near a shed and piles of brush. It did not feel evil just clearly present and not wanting to be defined.
When I was a kid groin up in Small Town, Ontario, I had two best friends, Ryan and Ben, from around grade five until I graduated high school in grade twelve. I would frequently play at Ryan's house and before going over there I would call him to tell him I was coming. I can not begin to count the number of times I would pick up the phone to call Ryan and he had picked his phone up to call me at the same time. No dialing, no ringing phone, just there was his voice on the other end of the line. It became so common place that we stopped being surprised by each others' voices saying "hello" as one of us pressed a key or two before realizing. How do phones connect when you have not even dialed the number yet?
I have had many instances of seeing just dark shadows. A couple I have already discussed in previous entries - my friend's house in Owen Sound, the farm yard one above that I visited with a psychic friend, the third the story of the crossroads in Nordegg.
Here are other situations that were never thoroughly explored or explained.
I was driving home one night in December 2019, down Concession 2 heading toward Inverhuron, Ontario. A tall dark shadow, like a man but I estimate to be over seven feet tall, darted as if sprinting across the road from right to left. It disappeared into the yard of the switching stations and trees on the corner. It was not my headlights as it appeared to pass through the beams of light.
A couple of times dark shadows were seen by several people in stores I worked in while living in Ohio. These stories will be discussed in their own separate blog in the future.
I have seen shadows while I walked the streets of Brampton late at night, not connected to any physical beings. This started in my late teens, in my home town and was somewhat uncontrolled during my years in the city into my early twenties.
Another time I saw a shadow, white not black or grey, during an instance of sleep paralysis. I will discuss this at another time as well.
Notes to YouTubers exploring the #paranormal Ghosts & Paranormal in Ontario
So I have a bit of experience over the years and I've watched literally hundreds of hours of video on the paranormal, so here are a few tips I personally have. You might agree with some of this or none of it at all. That's fine. This is my personal knowledge and experience, you can take it with a grain of salt.
Things I've noticed in videos when they use a spirit box to communicate.
1. Spirits are not deaf and neither are your viewers. Stop shouting at the spirit box like you have a bad 1990s cellphone connection.
2. slower sweeps through the channels in reverse seem to receive better clearer responses than fast sweeps.
3. I forget what it's called, but that device that only says the words and no static, turn the dang echoing off. it is irritating to listen to and doesn't make words any clearer in the end. I've watched people using it and half the time they are struggling o know what was even said. Another reason to keep it in a normal setting is the echo effect steps all over your next question or the spirits next answer making it hard to understand.
4. Slow down and give spirits a chance to reply. Remember you are talking to a dead person. Keep your questions clear and concise. Normally you only get one or two words reply but if your question has five sub-questions in it how is the spirit supposed to give a direct answer?
5. Don't assume that the spirit you want to talk to in a location is going to be the one that comes through the device, more than one person has died in the world.
6. If you are "legit" and the spirit box is working then don't stop it and switch to something else just to entertain your viewers. It's annoying to watch potential conversation interrupted by "oh, let's try this now". How would you like it if someone is talking on the phone with you, then they want to be on messenger, then they want to be on facetime, then they want... and so on. You'd quickly piss off your friend and you're pissing off the spirit.
Normal vs Paranormal
1. look for the explained before writing it off as paranormal. i don't know how many times I've watched people claim it was an abnormal sound when it was just the building creaking or settling or a car or truck passing by (this can be heard sometimes up to a block away for just a normal truck, depends on the building and ground).
2. Not every orb you see on camera is paranormal. Smartphones for example, I had a Samsung that, when aimed in the direction of the sun, would place a small orb in the picture. It's an optical effect created by the lens nothing more. When you have a camera with a light on it in the dark, unless the orb is moving about the view in a usual way, it's more likely just dust in the air.
3. If you are exploring old abandoned locations remember that black mold and asbestos dust will kill you faster than any spirit. Wear a mask and eye protection. Many people are not aware that bird poop contains bacteria that over time can harm your vision.
4. This is for legal disclaimer here: Never ever break into a location. If you can not enter through an open door or window then do not go. Trespassing is illegal and breaking and entering is worse. Never remove anything from a location, even abandoned. That cool little figurine you found could have a spirit attached to it.
1. contrary to popular myth perpetuated by ill-informed entertainment looking to sell cinema tickets - a pentacle is not demonic, a pentagram is not demonic, an inverted pentacle is not demonic and saying otherwise in your videos is just insulting and ignorant. Uneducated people have twisted these symbols to mean what media has taught then vs what is reality.
2. ALWAYS thank a spirit for communicating with you, and ALWAYS tell the spirit to remain at the location and do not follow you home. If they want to go anywhere then encourage them to go into 'the light'. Crystals, crosses, and prayers are tools. If you welcome negativity into your life then no amulet will protect you.
3. Don't play with a ouija board just for the entertainment of your viewers. Know what you are doing and take it seriously.
4. Dybbuk boxes are serious. Do not open one or even order one from the internet unless you are prepared for the negative consequences.
5. Haunted dolls, the same as dybbuk boxes are serious. And remember that unless you live alone you may be subjecting others in your household to things that they did not willfully choose to happen. Be respectful of others.
6. Mirrors, these can turn into portals under the right conditions. Be mindful. If you are using an ouija board you might consider covering any mirrors in the room. Just a suggestion.
7. If you welcome negative spirits you will get negative spirits. Stay positive, stay focused on love and peaceful thoughts. Unless you want to attract demonic energies and poltergeists, if so then be prepared!
8. Cats can sense spirits (as can dogs and children) more than adult humans. Cats are more likely to attract and be comfortable around positive energies. They are less likely to attract negative ones but they can definitely sense and see them. I've heard and read that having a cat in the house can protect you, but I consider them to be another tool when it comes to detecting spirits and energies. I have found less spirits or energies in places where there are more cats.
1. If there is a thump or a bang and everyone reacts, you don't need to repeat over and over "Did you hear that?" Obviously they did. If your viewers are watching they either heard it or they didn't. Repeating the question over and over won't change that fact.
2. Reacting to something without capturing it on camera or recording is just silly when you think others will find it scary. If you want to make an entire video like that of you being scared don't mislabel it as something paranormal captured just to get hits on your video.
1. Not every place is haunted even when people tell you it is. If you are really investigating the location then walk in there with at least an ounce of skepticism.
2. If you are new to investigating, many paranormal investigators (not amateur) spend hours experimenting and typically might get one or two credible responses. It's better to show a video and tell people how you didn't get any responses than making a big deal out of little things just to imply that you did.
3. Know the devices you are experimenting with and test them out beforehand so you know how they react to normal conditions. If something is "going crazy" don't be afraid to turn it off or reboot it to see if it is a mechanical or electrical malfunction.
That's all for now, if you have anything positive to add feel free to comment.
The next story I want to tell you about is a night in a place called Mount Chinguacosy. The ski hill is located in the city of Bramalea, Ontario. The hill is only twenty-one metres high but the climb feels like you are going up one of the small foothills in Alberta. Surprisingly this man-made hill is mostly constructed from the basements dug for housing in the surrounding area. I believe the hill is a magnet for energy, paranormal and otherwise. It is the tallest hill for several kilometres and surrounded by a human sea of electrical and wireless outlets.
I have been up the hill many times, especially during the early nineties when I lived in Brampton-Bramalea. I have watched a couple of the seasonal meteor showers from the hill top and on a clear day you can see the CN Tower in Downtown Toronto thirty kilometres away.
I have always been 'in tune' with the paranormal side and as an empath one of my abilities is channeling. If I am comfortable around you then you can see me talking to them and picking the out in a space around us. The years have taught me to translate entities into masses of energy versus human or demonic shape for the most part. I have trained my mind to see them for what they are - pure energy. Back in 1994, however, dark energy appeared to me in two forms - black mist-like clouds and entities representing demonic form.
During 1994 I was dating a woman in a long distance relationship. As we had little money to spend when she came to the city for a visit one of our free activities was to go to the park. It was normally late at night so we would sit together in the parking lot, right there on the asphalt, or climb up the hill to look at the lights of the city. The "gold coast" as I used to call it, Mississauga, a city located to the south along the shores of Lake Ontario, used orange street lights which gave the appearance of a shimmering ribbon of gold.
One night we climbed up the hill to the top for some quiet time together (making out). It was a typical summer night, the weather was decent with partial clouds but thankfully rain free. We got to the top of the hill and stood next to an old service shed, about the size of two porta-potties. I believe the shed has since been replaced with a new one along with other changes including new fencing and signage.
I did not feel anything paranormal during our walk up the hill or as we stood there. We started holding each other close and kissing. She was nearly a foot shorter than me so I moved to lean back against the shed to support us.
When my back touched the shed I felt a strong negative surge of energy pulse through my body. We both moved away suddenly from the shed. I did not say anything right then but she commented how she had felt something (get your mind out of the gutter). She told me she had felt the pulse pass through her and agreed it was time for us to get out of there.
I saw something else in that moment when my back touched the shed, but I did not tell her about it until we were safely back in our car. We literally bee-lined down the hill, trying not to fall, as quickly as we could to get away from the negative pulse of energy we had both felt.
The five minute walk down the hill was equally alarming. While I have, over the years, possessed the skills to identify and repel negative energies I am still very aware of their presence. At the time the most demonic (and poltergeists) would take the literal form of demons to my second sight. I would see them as, not black, but a consuming darkness in physical form much like the shape and appearance of gargoyles up to the size of mid sized dogs but far more sinister and evil looking. We passed by at least a dozen of them that I was able to repel with my mind. I could literally see them cower and retreat our of path. I am not certain now whether it was my ability or a directive from the entity in the shed that had them react in this way. Perhaps both?
When we got safely back to her car I told her about what I had seen over the last ten minutes.
In the moment we felt the energy pulse I visualized a literal demon standing crouched over consuming most of the space inside the shed. I would guess if it were standing outside it would be over eight feet in height. It was clear to me in my mine, the eyes, the claws, the wings. This, to me, tells me it was a strong evil energy, so much so that my mind translated it into a clear identifiable form. It was the leader and its minions had been present during our retreat down the hill.
I have seen and sensed similar negative energies since but none have matched the intensity or clarity of this particularly evil entity. It was not my first nor last brush with evil, in the near future I will tell you about the thunderstorm that chased us out of the Forks of the Credit park, one evening back in the late nineties, in a future blog.
I know, real detailed title eh.
ok, now that was weird. I was out front of the house on the deck. when I came in I could swear that a black insect, looked like a wasp but several inches long, flew in at the corner of the door near my feet. the dog didn't see it and I saw nothing moving in the room. i know my eyes play tricks on me, especially these days, but that was just creepy. A wasp would make perfect sense, as it was over twenty degrees today, but it is now eleven at night. The other thing is that I did not see anything inside the door after it closed nor on the deck when I looked out the window.
Another story from the town-site of Nordegg, Alberta, This paranormal incident took place around February 2017.
I had opened the store for the business day and had been working for a couple hours before things started happening. I was working alone, typical for the early morning shift. I was not used to it though, the guy who normally worked it was on vacation or something.
I think it was around eight that morning that the first thing happened. I was up by the front counter when I thought I heard something move out on the sales floor. I paused to listen again but heard nothing, so I continued to catch up on my paperwork.
I think about ten minutes had passed when suddenly there was a single thump sound coming from the aisle just out of view. It sounded like something had fallen on the floor. I walked over to find a box of liquid cold medicine laying on the floor. I was completely alone in the store. If I recall correctly there might have been one person in the store in nearly three hours and they were nowhere near that aisle. I know what I heard, even though I did not see it, and it had just then fallen onto the floor.
I put the box back on the shelf and went back up to the counter. It was past eight-thirty, so I decided to give the restrooms a cleaning before the mid-shifter came in around eleven.
I went back to the hallway where the two restrooms were located. I felt like someone was there, but I was still the only human in the entire building. I brushed the feeling off, ignoring whatever it was in order to get this gross task completed as soon as I could.
I had gloves but I did not wear them. I did a few quick sprays with the cleaner and then wiped down the surfaces with paper towel. I have never been affected by the cleaner before, physically, and I believe the cleaner I use at home today in my bathroom is far stronger in smell and effect.
I know I did not touch my hands or arms the whole time I was in there, less than five minutes, and I promptly washed them, at the main sink, afterwards.
I went back to the front counter (where the main sink was) and thought for a moment about the feeling I was with someone back there. I got the visualization of a young girl, maybe five or six years old, standing about four feet tall, with dirty blonde hair just to her shoulders. She had a somewhat rounded small face with no expression.
It was about eleven when my co-worker, a young woman, came in for her mid-shift.
We were standing at the counter talking about work or whatever. She looked down at my arm and asked, “what did you do to your arm?”
I looked down and to my surprise three red marks had formed on my left arm just above my wrist. “Nothing” I said somewhat confused. I took out my phone and took a picture of it. I do not know if it was me or her who said, “it looks like fingers”, and sure enough it did.
The three marks were red, the flesh felt a little rough, almost raw like it had been frost burned, but it was not hot or cold. The marks remained on my arm for a couple days even though when I got home, I put medicated salve on them.
After I thought about the incident and I think the young girl was a spirit, perhaps a former resident of the town. She was mischievous, as children are, and was playing with me. I do not think she had intended to hurt me; I hope, I think she just wanted to let me know she was there.
What do you think?
I wrote this article about the night we experienced the demonic presence near the foothills south of Nordegg, Alberta. I have messaged with Greg about that night and his comments are included during my recollection of the events.
It was in the late winter of 2017. I was living in a small town-site called Nordegg, Alberta, located about half an hour east of the Rocky Mountains, where I had been living since moving to Alberta in 2013.
The frontier town-site is divided into four parts. The historic coal mine buildings and grounds , closed off to the unattended public, is managed by Clearwater County and the Province of Alberta. The ghost town, also known as Brazeau (after the company town owners, Brazeau Collieries, back in the day) consists of nearly a dozen run-down neglected buildings. A modern town-site consisting of townhouses, trailer homes, a few businesses, a museum, a motel, and a gas station. And the last section, located to the north on the opposite side of Highway 11, is a resort district of seasonal homes.
Nordegg, Alberta the site of a fatal mine explosion that killed thirty-two miners on October 31, 1941. The tragedy shook the small mountain town of 800, however, mining resumed six weeks following the disaster and continued for another decade.
I was visiting with a friend of mine, Greg, up on the street south from where I lived. We were both outdoors types and loved going for hikes along the old railway lines above the ghost town. It was late, around 10 pm, when we decided to go for a walk up toward the long abandoned Main Street section. Greg had a stray cat he had befriended. It hung outside around the front porch where he fed it cat kibble from the local general store.
Nordegg, Alberta is located, literally, out in the middle of nowhere south-east of the intersection of David Thompson Highway 11 and the 734 Forestry Trunk Road. It is surrounded by a dense wilderness populated by hungry bears, wolves, coyotes, and cougars. It was the sort of place where it was considered somewhat habit to keep a large knife, can of bear spray, or a firearm within quick reach. Our walk up into the dark hills bore no exception to this rule and my friend and me were both armed respectively to our individual abilities for this hike.
We set off up the street toward a distant Y intersection* a quarter of the way up the foothills behind the town. It was a mild, partly cloudy night, but light enough to see about fifty metres ahead. The cat, a short hair tabby, decided to take the walk with us. She was an outdoor cat and walked about ten to fifteen metres away from us, crisscrossing back and forth across the road. She would stop on occasion to sniff at the scrubby weeds along the shoulder and bat at any insects she disturbed in the long uncut wild grass.
After a few minutes walk we got up to near the intersection in the road. The cat suddenly started walking within a metre of us. She clearly sensed something or someone in the darkness.
I could just make out the thin trunk trees and wild bushes on the patch of land triangle between the dirt and gravel roads. Our flashlights, while quite bright, did not pierce the darkness beyond the area they were pointed at leaving a lot of space around us unlit. There was, it seemed, a darker patch of shadows among the gnarled bushes and I could not identify it as having any particular shape or form. I used to have a saying back then, “question the shadows in the light of day but fear the shadows in the darkness at night”.
I know that Greg and I felt it at the same time. “There was definitely something wrong that night”, Greg expressed later in a chat on Facebook, “that was freaky as hell”. I would agree with that statement and describe it further as a dark, ominous feeling, like something was there in the shadows watching us. We stood there in silence staring at the spot and the cat remained close by our side. I do not know if she was trying to warn us, protecting us, or she had felt the same uneasy feeling of the darkness.
I did not feel afraid it might be some weird person lurking though, like I said we were both armed and my friend Greg is a hunter with a background in security. I think we stood there for a solid five minutes just trying to explain it away as being a person or animal, but no evidence presented itself to support either theory. “I kept my pistol in my hand for the rest of the way”, Greg recalled.
When we were satisfied it was not a predator or human, we continued on our trek up the road to the right toward the historic Main Street of the ghost town. The cat seemed to relax again and continued on his free-spirited walk away from our feet. We took a different road back down so we would not walk past the area a second time. “I did not feel safe until we passed by the creepy ass cemetery”, Greg said after reading the draft of this article.
It was an experience we will not soon forget, and three years after we can still recall like it was yesterday. There are several other stories I will be sharing about the strange things that happened in Nordegg, along with some of the ones I heard second-hand from residents and co-workers.
This is a Google Maps image of the area described in this article. The triangle patch of land was thick with young trees and bushes in early 2017. The historic Main Street is located down the road to the right, the cluster of buildings beneath the label Brazeau. The large building to the lower right was a minimum security detention facility. It was torn down in 2016.