This area has a rich agricultural history. The earliest settlers arrived in the 1800s and cleared large swaths of land for growing crops. Many residential dwellings in nearby towns were constructed in the early 1900s. According to Ontario Heritage Property INdex "The name of the Chief of the Chippawa Indians at Sarnia was Wawanosh, which means “pleasant sailing.” The Township was opened in 1840, the first settler, in that year, being John Jackman, Lot 13, Concession 1. Originally the district belonged to Ashfield for municipal administration, but was separated in 1852. The township was divided into West and East in 1866."